To launch The Silver Mountain Experience’s 2018 season, we are holding our first HERITAGE WEEKEND (Llywernog:1870) on the 24th & 25th March! We hope you can join us!
1870, Mid Wales: John Balcombe, Manager of Llywernog Mine, builds impressive buildings on the surface of the site to match its underground ‘riches’.
Share-pushing scandals are rife.
Mining production is facing competition from overseas.
We warmly invite one and all to come see the work that has been going on to restore the mining machinery to its former glory and travel back in time to an era when mining was greatly paramount in rural Welsh life. There will be fun and interactive activities going on throughout the weekend, which delve deep into this incredibly fascinating history! John Balcombe was a figure of great importance in the local area, having been responsible for buildings such as the Queen’s Hotel, which was used as the Police Station in popular television series Hinterland.
Llywernog Silver-Lead Mine dates back to the mid-1700s, and mining in Mid Wales back as far as 4,000 years ago, so there is a wealth to be explored!
With free entry to the main site, you can witness a variety of exciting features throughout the weekend. Some of the highlights include…
- The unveiling of the Ore Jiggers working for the first time since the mining era!
- An unveiling of the Buddle & Jigger Waterwheels turning in unison for the first time in decades!
- A Miner’s Life* guided underground tour, newly extended with exclusive access to the fascinating Ore Crusher, which has been painstakingly restored.
- The Time Lab* an interactive show for all the family delving deep into the freaky facts & twisted tales linked to this unique Silver-Lead Mine, not to be missed!
- Mining Memorabilia stand: don’t miss the chance to see mining-era artefacts, documents, photographs and books brought in by local organisations and the community, including handling collections and facsimile material from the Ceredigion Museum and Ceredigion Archives.
- Share your own memorabilia from the times of mining, with an opportunity to enter our ‘MOST UNUSUAL’ COMPETITION! You can also bring anything that you think may be related to mining, and our mining experts will do their best to identify and tell you more about it!
- Uncover the ghostly workers of 1870 at Llywernog. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales’s youth panel will help you make ‘Mini Map Badges’ or have a go at a ‘Hat Snapshot’… who will you be, where did you work and what did you do in the mine? GHOSTS, GRAFT and GRIME!
- Find out more about what the Ceredigion Heritage Youth Panel and the ‘Ceredigion Off-Limits?’ project have been doing here at Llywernog as well.
- Talks & demonstrations around the site.
- Visit Llywernog’s Mining Museum, now with more exhibits & information than ever before
- Follow the Miner’s Trail
- Historic dressing-up in the NEW kids’ Den & plenty of great photo opportunities
- Opportunity to speak to members of the Welsh Mines Preservation Trust and Cambrian Mines Trust about their work & how you can become a member.
- Café travels back in time, offering Victorian treats – why not try an authentic Cornish Pasty while you’re here!
- Plus all surface attractions, Dragon’s Tale & Black Chasm tours* open as normal
*Small supplementary charge for this activity.
Prices for either Miner’s Life, Black Chasm and Dragon’s Tale tour:
£8 per adult
£7 per concession
£6 per child
Want to do a second tour? Add this for £3 per child, £3.50 concession & £4 per adult on the day.
Tours last approx. 45mins – 1 hour. Wear sturdy shoes, boots or trainers. Suggested fleece or jacket for constant cool temperature in mine. Safety helmets provided
The Silver Mountain Experience is a fantastic family day out in mid-wales, filled with history, myth, legend and more. We are very proud of our Welsh Mining Heritage, and our site based in Ponterwyd, Aberystwyth, lies the beautifully preserved Llywernog silver-lead ore mine. Spend an afternoon exploring this historic site, experience one of our guided tours and more. Children can enjoy our Dragon's Tale adventure, with a new story for 2018, whilst those who are feeling brave can venture into the mines and take the dreaded Black Chasm tour. As well as all of this, we have a variety of other interactive attractions such as Time Lab and our creative den, so why not join us for an afternoon of fun, deep in the Welsh mountains!